Thursday, January 3, 2019

We're all classy!

Whenever someone in the media talks about what "class" you may be in because of the economy, I have to laugh.

It seems pundits are obsessed with putting you in either the lower, middle or upper class.

The definition of the various classes is ambiguous at best. One reporter states that having a $50,000 annual household median income puts you into the "middle" class.  That may be true, but if you have $55,000 in annual expenses, does that put you into the "low" class?

That got me thinking. 

I really think it is a matter of what we have and do that's puts into the various classes, and that fluctuates with what we do and have.  For example:

I drive a Lexus, so I must be "upper" class.
I drive an "old" Lexus, so I must be "low" class.
I have a newer Lexus and it is paid for, free and clear, so I am "upper"
 class.
I owe $43,000 on my $45,000 Lexus, so I am "middle" class.

I have a home with a mortgage, that makes be "middle" class.
I rent a house or apartment, so I am "low" class.
My house is appraised at $500,000, so I am upper class.
I owe $525,000 on my house, so I am lower class.

I go out to eat once a month at a sit down restaurant, so I am middle class.
When I go out once a month, I eat steak or lobster, so I am upper class.
I go out to eat 4 times a month and eat at fast food restaurants, so I am low class.
I only eat at restaurants with white table clothes, order food I can't pronounce and tip 25%, four times a month, so I am upper class.

You get the picture. It's not what you earn, it's what you do that makes you classy! Some people act "upper" class, but have a middle or lower class living standard.

I like it when they say, "the rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer."  There is no middle class any more. Like politics, you're either liberal or conservative.  Moderates are really people who can't make up their mind.

Some people feel comfortable being in the middle. Like me. I've been up-front (upper) and I've been out-back (low) but I like the middle the best. 

We've all "classy" as far as I concerned. It has nothing to do with money...It has to do with how we live.  Let's just say I have an "upper" class attitude with a middle class existence in a "low" class world!

No comments:

Post a Comment